There are numerous benefits in obtaining board certification in school psychology. Some of these benefits include:
- Possession of an increasingly valuable credential, in the context of increasing specialty practice, which is recognized by universities, hospitals, health service systems, agencies, and the public,
- Listing as a board certified specialist in the ABPP on-line directory,
- Supporting qualification as an expert witness,
- Verification as currently maintaining certification requirements of the specialty,
- Receipt of and an opportunity to publish in The ABPP Specialist, the on-line newsletter of the ABPP,
- Invitation to attend and participate in the ABPP’s national convocation held during the APA national convention,
- Recognition by many state licensing jurisdictions of ABPP board certification as an endorsement for reciprocity of licensure,
- Qualification for reduced liability practice insurance,
- An opportunity to support and participate in the advancement of the specialty practice of school psychology at the local, state, and national levels,
- Receipt of 10 CE credits for completion of the board certification process, and
- Satisfaction of meeting the standard of a responsible professional when offering specialty services to the public (i.e., professional psychologists who offer services should be highly qualified/certified in their specialty).
Please click HERE to be redirected to the Certification Fees page.
After obtaining board certification ABPP requires an annual payment.
This varies by individual, but the average is 18-24 months.